The Dakota Fire Protection District formed in 1948 with the first truck stationed in the north bay of what became the Dakota Garage. In 1958, a station was built at 110 Oak Street.
Today, the Department is housed at 118 E. Main Street in a building completed in the summer of 2008. This building houses a total of seven trucks, two Engines, two tenders, two brush trucks, and one heavy rescue truck.
The department has twenty-seven volunteer members that are trained in various aspects of fire and rescue. The Dakota Fire Protection District has had five dedicated Fire Chiefs over the past 60 years. Each has helped protect the district and safety of the many volunteer firemen.
They are as follows:
- The late Harry DeGroff (1948-1949)
- The late Phil Ebel (1949-1950)
- The late Carl Bordner (1950-1988)
- Stanley Daughenbaugh (1988-1999)
- David Bordner (1999-present)